Popular products by category
Rigaku nano3DX is a true X-ray microscope (XRM) with ultra-wide field of view, 25X larger volume than comparable systems, and three X-ray wavelengths for different matrices.Read more...
HyPix-3000 is a next-generation two-dimensional hybrid pixel array semiconductor detector designed specifically to meet the needs of the home lab diffractionist.Read more...
Analytical solutions by industry
New papers of interest
Newsletters, press releases, webinars and conferencesLife Science eNewsletter archive and subscribeMaterial Science eNewsletter archive and subscribe
Rigaku OpenLab: July 7-11, 2014, Cambodia
Dual Source Imaging Plate Crystallography System
Versatile Diffraction System for Small Molecules and More
DualSource RAPID II
The newest member of the RAPID II family is a dual source configuration that includes a Cu microfocus sealed tube and a Mo standard sealed tube. This combination was selected based on the best performance for the crystallographer:
a microfocus Cu tube coupled with a multilayer mirror outperforms a standard Cu sealed tube system and a standard Mo sealed tube coupled with a curved graphite monochromator outperforms a microfocus Mo source with multilayer optic. Therefore, the DualSource RAPID II gives you the best of both worlds in a wavelength switchable system.
The Advantage of Large Aperture SizeThe aperture of the RAPID II is large. Very large. With a 204° capture angle in the horizontal direction, this means that you are collecting much more diffraction from your crystal during an exposure. This reduces the number of images that must be collected and scaled together. Scaling is more accurate because more equivalent reflections are measured on the same image.
The Advantage of Low NoiseThe large aperture and lack of electronic noise means that powder diffraction and diffuse scattering measurements are easily made, even on small samples where long exposure times are required.
The Advantage of SimplicityThe RAPID II has a simplicity of design that means it is easy to use, so you can be less concerned about letting students and new users collect data. The 1⁄4-χ goniometer is an elegant solution for covering reciprocal space and the lack of a 2θ arm means that alignment is simpler. The RAPID II is a very reliable instrument that can be repaired in the field if necessary. In contrast, electronic detectors must be returned to the factory for repair.
- Standard three dimensional structure determination from single crystals
- Determination of absolute structure of chiral compounds
- Complete high-resolution data for charge-density modeling
- Structure determination from very small crystals
- Diffuse scattering patterns employing long X-ray exposures
- High pressure measurements using a diamond anvil cell
- Supramolecular structures (meta-structures, often with large unit cells)
- Complete handling of twinned and modulated crystals
- Phase ID of powder samples
- Fiber diffraction patterns
- Macromolecular structure determination
DualSource RAPID II specifications
Imaging plate (IP) and scanner:
- Detector: Cylindrical IP with vertical translation axis
- Radius: 127.4 mm
- 2θ range: Tangential direction -60° to 144°
- Active area: 460 mm x 256 mm
- Pixel size: 100 μm x 100 μm, 100 μm x 150 μm, or 200 μm x 200 μm, user selectable
- Number of IPs: 1
- Readout method: High speed helical scan
- Readout time: 51 sec
- Erase time: 20 sec
- Duty time (erase, readout, positioning): ca. 90 sec. (100 μm x 100 μm scan)
- Dynamic range: 524,000:1
- Sensitivity: 1 ADU/X-ray photon (Cu Kα), 2 ADU/X-ray photon (Mo Kα)
- Image size: 23.5 Mbytes in 100 μm x 100 μm readout mode
Goniometer (Partial-χ, 3-axis goniometer):
- ω axis: -85° to 265° 0.002° /step
- χ axis: -15° to 55° 0.0002° /step
- φ axis: 360° 0.002° /step
- Sphere of confusion: ≤ 20 μm
- Goniometer head: IUCr arcless goniometer head, 49 mm
- SHINE curved graphite crystal for Mo source
- CMF optic for Cu source
- Camera: 1/3" camera for sample alignment and observation; 70X magnification color image displayed on host computer
- X-ray generators: 3 kW sealed tube Mo source; 30W MicroMax-003 Cu source
- Computer: PC with Windows®
- Software: CrystalClear™ automated measurement/processing software; Software for face indexing using CCD video camera; TwinSolve twinned crystal integration software; Supported by HKL-2000®; 2DP 2D data processing software (optional); PDXL powder diffraction software (optional)
RAPID II application gallery
RAPID II software
CrystalClear is the data collection and analysis package designed for single crystal data. Based on Rigaku's easy-to-use flow bar user interface, CrystalClear walks the user through steps required to collect and prepare a data set for structure determination. Includes data collection, image display, indexing, space group determination, integration, scaling and absorption correction. Also included is Rigaku's TwinSolve, a powerful and flexible twin-handling package to index and integrate data from twinned samples.
Optional software packages include 2DP, 3D Explore and PDXL.
2DP is a general purpose 2D data processing software package offering 2D image processing and integration for powder and other polycrystalline materials.
3D Explore is a state-of-the-art display package for reciprocal space mapping and pole figure analysis.
The PDXL powder diffraction suite offers modules for basic powder diffraction analysis, automated search match, Rietveld refinement, powder pattern simulations, crystallite size determination, and percent crystallinity.