Popular products by category
Rigaku nano3DX is a true X-ray microscope (XRM) with ultra-wide field of view, 25X larger volume than comparable systems, and three X-ray wavelengths for different matrices.Read more...
HyPix-3000 is a next-generation two-dimensional hybrid pixel array semiconductor detector designed specifically to meet the needs of the home lab diffractionist.Read more...
Analytical solutions by industry
New papers of interest
Special Feature: Pharmaceutical Analysis (5): Analysis of trace impurities in pharmaceutical products using polarized EDXRF spectrometer NEX CG.Read more...
Automated crystal transport orientation and retrieval robot
Automatic sample mounting, X-ray screening and data collection
ACTOR™ is a proven commercial solution for automating routine crystal screening and data collection at both synchrotron beam lines and home laboratories. Compatible with almost any goniometer and detector combination, the ACTOR eliminates much of the physical handling of samples required during crystal screening and data collection.
Rapid automatic crystal screening
ACTOR allows you to screen up to 30 samples per hour. Adding automation to your structure solution pipeline also complements the high throughput needed for fragment based screening projects and structural genomics programs. ACTOR enables you to quickly screen many crystals for optimal diffraction qualities and cryo-conditions and includes ranking software to assist you in comparing samples and finding the best crystals for data collection.
Shorten the crystallization to structure pipeline
ACTOR allows you to effectively shorten the time gap between crystallization and structure solution. ACTOR was the first commercial automated crystal mounting robot and won the 2002 R&D 100 Award for technical innovation. Today over 60 ACTOR robots are in operation in home labs and at beamlines around the world. ACTOR can increase the number and quality of your diffraction experiments, ensuring your success in increasingly competitive funding and IP environments.
- Completely automated sample mounting, centering and data collection
- Integrated sample ranking and data collection strategy algorithms.
- Choice of dewar base plates for use with either ACTOR, ALS, Uni-Puck sample holders. (Tools and magazines for ALS and Uni-Puck must be purchased separately.)
- Storage capacity up to 240 samples: 3 Dewars with 80 sample capacity per dewar for ALS and UniPuck (Alternatively, 3 dewars with 60 sample capacity per dewar for ACTOR pucks or 3 dewars with 40 sample capacity per dewar for ESRF magazines)
- Dewar Baseplate Options: ALS/Unipuck baseplate, Rigaku baseplate, ESRF baseplate with flipper, Kinematic baseplate (multi-magazine support)
- Laser pin sensor
- Barcode reader for barcode pin sample tracking
- RFID reader for RFID pin sample tracking
- High-speed dryer
- Software libraries available
- ACTOR Tool Kit
ACTOR magazine (puck):
- Holds up to 12 samples mounted using standard 18 mm Hampton pins. This gives an effective length of 21 mm from the top of the magnet.
- Magnetized bottom for secure positioning in the ACTOR staging dewar and ACTOR storage racks
- Constructed of aluminum for frost-free use and durability
- Slotted for manipulation with the ACTOR magazine tongs
ACTOR magazine tongs:
- Hemostat-style closure for secure handling of ACTOR magazines
- Tips fit into ACTOR magazine slots to ensure secure manipulation
ACTOR storage rack:
- Holds up to five ACTOR magazines
- Fits into standard CX100 (or equivalent) shipping dewars
- Individual slots for secure storage of ACTOR magazines
- 2 designs available for use with Taylor-Wharton HC20, HC34, HC35, and VHC35 storage dewars and/or Taylor-Wharton CX100 travel dewar
ACTOR pin tongs:
- Used to transfer mounted crystal into an ACTOR magazine slot
- Artery style clamp closure keeps sample secure during transfer from mounting dewar to magazine
- Maintains crystal at cryo temperatures
- For use with standard 18 mm Hampton pins
ACTOR pin check:
- Used to quickly check that sample vials and pins are correctly seated in the ACTOR magazines
There are three styles of pins compatible with the ACTOR robotic system. These include the Hampton CrystalCap™ Copper Magnetic HT, the Hampton CrystalCap™ Copper Magnetic ALS HT and the Hampton CrystalCap HT™ (SPINE).
The pin dimensions for each are described below:
Photos of each of these pins are shown below. They can be purchased from HamptonResearch as well as other vendors. Please check pins from any vendor to ensure that they have been manufactured within the above tolerances. This will ensure that they are compatible for use with the ACTOR system. For questions about ACTOR pins, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- High throughput X-ray crystallography
- Automated sample mounting and X-ray data collection for crystals